The Yachtmaster Theory Course is an advanced navigation course for more experienced skippers building on the Day Skipper theory course.
This course equips you to navigate safely on coastal and offshore passages and will take your theory knowledge to the standard required for the Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore practical exams, concentrating on advanced navigation and meteorology skills.
This is a 6 day course with three exam papers. It allows some time for revision of the basics and then moves on to advanced navigation techniques (minimum of 40 hours plus exams).
Course topics include:
- Position fixing
- Course shaping and plotting
- Tidal knowledge
- Use of almanacs and admiralty publications
- Electronic position finding equipment
- Taking and interpreting forecasts
- Plotting weather systems
- Weather predictions using a barometer and by observation
- Collision regulations
- Customs and excise regulations for cruising abroad